2900 E. Observatory Road, Los Angeles, California.
Built in 1935.
During a trip to Europe, self proclaimed colonel, Griffith J. Griffith came to the realization that his home, Los Angeles, lacked a great park and considered it his obligation to make the city a happy, clean and fine city. He soon after (1896) donated 3,015 acres of land to the city in order to create a park. After a separate trip to a research observatory at Mount Wilson in 1904, Griffith decided that astronomy and science needed to be more publicly
accessible, leading to a large monetary gift for the observatory to be built on his donated land.
The Griffith Observatory was used in World War II to train pilots as well as in the 1960’s to train the Apollo astronauts for their first lunar missions.