The Audubon Hotel The Audubon Hotel. 1225 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built c. 1940.  Built as a hotel to cater to the captains and deckhands of Mississippi River boats, the Audubon Hotel has been a Central City landmark since its beginning. During its many years on St. Charles, the bottom floor has housed the original Bamboo Dance Club as well as the Audubon Club. The long vacant hotel has been purchased and is in the process of renovations to become a "poshtel" -- a combination hotel and hostel, complete with bar.

The Audubon Hotel

The Audubon Hotel. 1225 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built c. 1940. 

Built as a hotel to cater to the captains and deckhands of Mississippi River boats, the Audubon Hotel has been a Central City landmark since its beginning. During its many years on St. Charles, the bottom floor has housed the original Bamboo Dance Club as well as the Audubon Club.

The long vacant hotel has been purchased and is in the process of renovations to become a "poshtel" -- a combination hotel and hostel, complete with bar.

Old Louisiana State Capitol 100 North Boulevard, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Built from 1847-1852. The Old Louisiana State Capitol served as the meeting place for the Louisiana state legislature from its build date until 1932 when the current capitol building was constructed. It is now a museum. The building was built to look like a castle, earning it the title of "The Castle on the River."  Though most admire the historical building's castle-like appearance, it received a scathing review from Mark Twain who was quoted as saying, "It is pathetic ... that a whitewashed castle, with turrets and things ... should ever have been built in this otherwise honorable place."

Old Louisiana State Capitol

100 North Boulevard, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Built from 1847-1852.

The Old Louisiana State Capitol served as the meeting place for the Louisiana state legislature from its build date until 1932 when the current capitol building was constructed. It is now a museum. The building was built to look like a castle, earning it the title of "The Castle on the River." 

Though most admire the historical building's castle-like appearance, it received a scathing review from Mark Twain who was quoted as saying, "It is pathetic ... that a whitewashed castle, with turrets and things ... should ever have been built in this otherwise honorable place."

L.E. Koffskey Pharmacy/ Uhl & Rebeck Home 840 Louisa Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.  Built c. 1870.

L.E. Koffskey Pharmacy/ Uhl & Rebeck Home

840 Louisa Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. 

Built c. 1870.

Avenue Pub 1732 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built c. 1845. The Avenue Pub offers one of the best regional and craft beer selections in the city of New Orleans. With its large balcony, being open 24 hours a day, and being placed right on one of the most popular parade routes, this bar has become a staple of Mardi Gras and daily life for many locals. The previous uses of the pub are unknown, but it is speculated that the building was once a shop with a residence above. Many of the original features of its architecture still remain.

Avenue Pub

1732 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built c. 1845.

The Avenue Pub offers one of the best regional and craft beer selections in the city of New Orleans. With its large balcony, being open 24 hours a day, and being placed right on one of the most popular parade routes, this bar has become a staple of Mardi Gras and daily life for many locals.

The previous uses of the pub are unknown, but it is speculated that the building was once a shop with a residence above. Many of the original features of its architecture still remain.

Entrepreneurs' Row 220 Camp Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built c. Mid-Late 1800's. Originally the Henry Gardes Building.  Built sometime in the mid to late 1800's by architect Henry Howard.  This structure is one of three buildings in New Orleans with a remaining cast-iron facade. The building serves now as a loft-style office building that houses many fledgling startups. 

Entrepreneurs' Row

220 Camp Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built c. Mid-Late 1800's.

Originally the Henry Gardes Building.  Built sometime in the mid to late 1800's by architect Henry Howard. 

This structure is one of three buildings in New Orleans with a remaining cast-iron facade. The building serves now as a loft-style office building that houses many fledgling startups. 

New Canal Lighthouse 8001 Lakeshore Drive, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1839. Rebuilt in 1855. Rebuilt in 1890. Rebuilt in 2012.

New Canal Lighthouse

8001 Lakeshore Drive, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1839.

Rebuilt in 1855. Rebuilt in 1890. Rebuilt in 2012.

Blue Moon Saloon & Guesthouse 215 E Convent Street, Lafayette, Louisiana. Originally located in downtown Lafayette, this little house was relocated in 1900 with the help of some mules and logs to its current spot. Since its move, this building has housed families, a flower shop, and is now the location of of the Blue Moon Saloon, a world-famous, yet home-grown honky tonk and bar, as well as a guest house. 

Blue Moon Saloon & Guesthouse

215 E Convent Street, Lafayette, Louisiana.

Originally located in downtown Lafayette, this little house was relocated in 1900 with the help of some mules and logs to its current spot. Since its move, this building has housed families, a flower shop, and is now the location of of the Blue Moon Saloon, a world-famous, yet home-grown honky tonk and bar, as well as a guest house. 

St. Louis Cathedral  (Cathedral-Basilica of Saint Louis, King of France.) 615 Pere Antoine Alley, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1789. The site of the St. Louis Cathedral has been home to worshippers since 1718. The latest and current iteration was built in 1789, making it the oldest Catholic cathedral in continual use in the United States.  The building is said to be haunted by Père Antoine (Fr. Antonio de Sedella,)  a former priest of the cathedral.

St. Louis Cathedral  (Cathedral-Basilica of Saint Louis, King of France.)

615 Pere Antoine Alley, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1789.

The site of the St. Louis Cathedral has been home to worshippers since 1718. The latest and current iteration was built in 1789, making it the oldest Catholic cathedral in continual use in the United States. 

The building is said to be haunted by Père Antoine (Fr. Antonio de Sedella,)  a former priest of the cathedral.

Yellow House Uptown, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Yellow House

Uptown, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Degas House 2306 Esplanade Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1852. The Degas House, of course, is a former home of Edgar Degas, a French painter and sculptor. After the Franco-Prussian war, Degas made his way from France to New Orleans where his mother was born and members of his family resided. The house now exists as an upscale bed and breakfast. 

Degas House

2306 Esplanade Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1852.

The Degas House, of course, is a former home of Edgar Degas, a French painter and sculptor. After the Franco-Prussian war, Degas made his way from France to New Orleans where his mother was born and members of his family resided. The house now exists as an upscale bed and breakfast. 

Make It Right House Found in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Make It Right House

Found in New Orleans, Louisiana.

New Orelans House 1104 Soniat Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

New Orelans House

1104 Soniat Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

La Louisianne Records & Studio 711 Stevenson Street, Lafayette, Louisiana.  Opened in the mid-1950's by Carol Rachou, La Louisianne Records & Studio has recorded hundreds of albums of Cajun, Swamp Pop, R&B, and Zydeco music as well as other genres of musicians from all over the world. The studio is still run today by Rachou's son, David.

La Louisianne Records & Studio

711 Stevenson Street, Lafayette, Louisiana. 

Opened in the mid-1950's by Carol Rachou, La Louisianne Records & Studio has recorded hundreds of albums of Cajun, Swamp Pop, R&B, and Zydeco music as well as other genres of musicians from all over the world. The studio is still run today by Rachou's son, David.

Ashton Theater 8437 Apple Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Opened in 1927.  The Ashton Theater was designed by Ferdinand Rousseve, the first licensed black architect in Louisiana. The theater opened in 1927 and closed in 1958. It is currently being used as a private studio by local artist Lin Emory.

Ashton Theater

8437 Apple Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Opened in 1927. 

The Ashton Theater was designed by Ferdinand Rousseve, the first licensed black architect in Louisiana. The theater opened in 1927 and closed in 1958. It is currently being used as a private studio by local artist Lin Emory.

The Eagle Saloon 401 S. Rampart Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1851. The birthplace of jazz resides in a strip of crumbling, if even still standing, buildings on a row on Rampart Street. Boasting former shows from the greats such as Louis Armstrong and Buddy Bolden, the Eagle Saloon is a landmark in American music history.  This building, among many others, sits idly by, waiting to fall apart (no one would be surprised if it fell down tomorrow) or be saved.  Please help save New Orleans history and donate to The Eagle Saloon Initiative.

The Eagle Saloon

401 S. Rampart Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1851.

The birthplace of jazz resides in a strip of crumbling, if even still standing, buildings on a row on Rampart Street. Boasting former shows from the greats such as Louis Armstrong and Buddy Bolden, the Eagle Saloon is a landmark in American music history. 
This building, among many others, sits idly by, waiting to fall apart (no one would be surprised if it fell down tomorrow) or be saved. 

Please help save New Orleans history and donate to The Eagle Saloon Initiative.

Piaggio and Viosca Building 321 N. Peters Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.  Now houses Latitude 29, a tiki bar. 

Piaggio and Viosca Building

321 N. Peters Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. 
Now houses Latitude 29, a tiki bar. 

St. Roch Market 2381 St. Claude Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1875. Originally built in 1875, St. Roch Market was a place to  bring your family and  get local seafood.  After being resurrected post Hurricane Katrina (2015,) the  market is now home to a variety of different local  entrepreneurs -- featuring a diverse lineup of food and  beverages. 

St. Roch Market

2381 St. Claude Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1875.

Originally built in 1875, St. Roch Market was a place to  bring your family and  get local seafood. 

After being resurrected post Hurricane Katrina (2015,) the  market is now home to a variety of different local  entrepreneurs -- featuring a diverse lineup of food and  beverages. 

Circle Bar 1032 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built c. 1883. As one of the oldest structures on Lee Circle, the architecture of Circle Bar is a mashup of various styles including Greek Revival, Italianate, Second Empire and late Victorian. The building has been through many hands throughout its life including being the office of Dr. Elizabeth Magus Cohen, the first female physician in New Orleans as well as the first woman who was licensed to practice medicine in Louisiana. Circle Bar is now one of the best spots in town for touring and local musicians, hosting a plethora of groups of all genres since its inception in 1999.

Circle Bar

1032 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built c. 1883.

As one of the oldest structures on Lee Circle, the architecture of Circle Bar is a mashup of various styles including Greek Revival, Italianate, Second Empire and late Victorian. The building has been through many hands throughout its life including being the office of Dr. Elizabeth Magus Cohen, the first female physician in New Orleans as well as the first woman who was licensed to practice medicine in Louisiana.

Circle Bar is now one of the best spots in town for touring and local musicians, hosting a plethora of groups of all genres since its inception in 1999.

Camelback Shotgun House 1320 N. Rendon Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Owned by Linda & Malcolm Burns, this beautiful camelback (not pictured) shotgun house lives in the St. John neighborhood.

Camelback Shotgun House

1320 N. Rendon Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Owned by Linda & Malcolm Burns, this beautiful camelback (not pictured) shotgun house lives in the St. John neighborhood.

Arts & Crafts Bungalow Common in New Orleans, Louisiana. The Bungalow type of house came into popularity in the United States at the same time as the Arts & Crafts style, tying the two together in most instances. This type of house was most likely originated East or Southern Asia and imported into Britain in the 19th century. A common feature among Bungalow type houses was the gable, or attic vent that was designed to look like a gable, over the main area of the home.

Arts & Crafts Bungalow

Common in New Orleans, Louisiana.

The Bungalow type of house came into popularity in the United States at the same time as the Arts & Crafts style, tying the two together in most instances. This type of house was most likely originated East or Southern Asia and imported into Britain in the 19th century.

A common feature among Bungalow type houses was the gable, or attic vent that was designed to look like a gable, over the main area of the home.

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop 941 Bourbon St., New Orleans, Louisiana. Built from 1722-32. This creole cottage is one of the oldest surviving structures in the City of New Orleans, and lays claim to being the oldest bar in the United States. The building is rumored to have been once owned by the famous privateer Jean Lafitte, and as such was a site of much illegal activity and contraband sales. As with most buildings in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop is said to be extremely haunted.

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop

941 Bourbon St., New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built from 1722-32.

This creole cottage is one of the oldest surviving structures in the City of New Orleans, and lays claim to being the oldest bar in the United States.

The building is rumored to have been once owned by the famous privateer Jean Lafitte, and as such was a site of much illegal activity and contraband sales. As with most buildings in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop is said to be extremely haunted.

Greek Revival Cottage Common in New Orleans, Louisiana. The Greek Revival style was popular in New Orleans during the 18th and 19th century, pulling influence from the arts and architecture of the “classical world.”  This style is most often associated with mansions, plantation houses, and commercial buildings, but its elements are often seen on more modest cottages and shotgun houses as well.

Greek Revival Cottage

Common in New Orleans, Louisiana.

The Greek Revival style was popular in New Orleans during the 18th and 19th century, pulling influence from the arts and architecture of the “classical world.” 

This style is most often associated with mansions, plantation houses, and commercial buildings, but its elements are often seen on more modest cottages and shotgun houses as well.

Old Louisiana State Capitol 100 North Boulevard, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Built from 1847-1852. The Old Louisiana State Capitol served as the meeting place for the Louisiana state legislature from its build date until 1932 when the current capitol building was constructed. It is now a museum. The building was built to look like a castle, earning it the title of "The Castle on the River."  Though most admire the historical building's castle-like appearance, it received a scathing review from Mark Twain who was quoted as saying, "It is pathetic ... that a whitewashed castle, with turrets and things ... should ever have been built in this otherwise honorable place."

Old Louisiana State Capitol

100 North Boulevard, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Built from 1847-1852.

The Old Louisiana State Capitol served as the meeting place for the Louisiana state legislature from its build date until 1932 when the current capitol building was constructed. It is now a museum. The building was built to look like a castle, earning it the title of "The Castle on the River." 

Though most admire the historical building's castle-like appearance, it received a scathing review from Mark Twain who was quoted as saying, "It is pathetic ... that a whitewashed castle, with turrets and things ... should ever have been built in this otherwise honorable place."

Saturn Bar 3067 St. Claude Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. "Sometimes we open at random times, so if you see the neon lights on outside, it means come on it. Thanks!" - saturnbar.com This statement fully fits the odd nature of this Bywater haunt. Hosting local music, touring acts, and their famous dance parties, Saturn Bar is a New Orleans staple.

Saturn Bar

3067 St. Claude Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

"Sometimes we open at random times, so if you see the neon lights on outside, it means come on it. Thanks!" - saturnbar.com

This statement fully fits the odd nature of this Bywater haunt. Hosting local music, touring acts, and their famous dance parties, Saturn Bar is a New Orleans staple.

1314 St. Bernard Avenue 1314 St. Bernard Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

1314 St. Bernard Avenue

1314 St. Bernard Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Beauregard-Keyes House 1113 Chartres Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1826. The Beauregard-Keyes House boasts many prominent residents including its namesakes Confederate General P.G.T. (Pierre Gustave Toutant) Beauregard, who famously ordered the first shots of the Civil War and Frances Parkinson Keyes, an author of over fifty books a century later. The house now serves as a museum, restored to its original Victorian Style, featuring items from noted residents. 

Beauregard-Keyes House

1113 Chartres Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1826.

The Beauregard-Keyes House boasts many prominent residents including its namesakes Confederate General P.G.T. (Pierre Gustave Toutant) Beauregard, who famously ordered the first shots of the Civil War and Frances Parkinson Keyes, an author of over fifty books a century later.

The house now serves as a museum, restored to its original Victorian Style, featuring items from noted residents. 

Morris-Israel House 1331 First Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1868. Known as the House of the Voodoo Ritual, this Victorian mansion is the site of many spooky tales and finds. During a renovation, a small room was discovered that contained human remains propped up in a ritualistic manner. Stories of orbs and streaks in photographs help along the many stories of ghost sightings and strange sounds. 

Morris-Israel House

1331 First Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1868.

Known as the House of the Voodoo Ritual, this Victorian mansion is the site of many spooky tales and finds. During a renovation, a small room was discovered that contained human remains propped up in a ritualistic manner. Stories of orbs and streaks in photographs help along the many stories of ghost sightings and strange sounds. 

Ms. Mae's 4336 Magazine Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Known as New Orleans' cheapest dive bar, with $2 singles and $3 doubles, Ms. Mae's is a 24-hour haven for anyone who likes a bargain drink. "The Club" (its first name) was originally owned by Florence Brigham who adopted the name Ms. Mae to appear more as a traditional southern lady

Ms. Mae's

4336 Magazine Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Known as New Orleans' cheapest dive bar, with $2 singles and $3 doubles, Ms. Mae's is a 24-hour haven for anyone who likes a bargain drink.

"The Club" (its first name) was originally owned by Florence Brigham who adopted the name Ms. Mae to appear more as a traditional southern lady

Marquette Hall of Loyola University 6363 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1910. Marquette Hall is named after a Jesuit explorer, Fr. Jacques Marquette, S.J. It was the first permanent building established on Loyola University, New Orleans's campus and housed the majority of classes until the late 1920's.

Marquette Hall of Loyola University

6363 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1910.

Marquette Hall is named after a Jesuit explorer, Fr. Jacques Marquette, S.J.

It was the first permanent building established on Loyola University, New Orleans's campus and housed the
majority of classes until the late 1920's.

The Cabildo 701 Chartres Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1799. The Cabildo was built as the center of New Orleans government and served as such until 1853 when it became the headquarters of the Louisiana State Supreme Court. This building housed many landmark events in history such as the signing of the Louisiana Purchase and being the court where the Plessy v. Ferguson decision was made. The Cabildo is now part of the Louisiana State Museum.

The Cabildo

701 Chartres Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1799.

The Cabildo was built as the center of New Orleans government and served as such until 1853 when it became the headquarters of the Louisiana State Supreme Court.

This building housed many landmark events in history such as the signing of the Louisiana Purchase and being the court where the Plessy v. Ferguson decision was made.

The Cabildo is now part of the Louisiana State Museum.

Elms Mansion 3029 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1869. This Italianate-style mansion was built in 1969 for Watson Van Benthuysen II, an officer in the Confederate Army and relative of Jefferson Davis. During the period of 1831 until the end of WWII, the Elms mansion served as a German Consulate. The house is now used as a special events and weddings venue.

Elms Mansion

3029 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1869.

This Italianate-style mansion was built in 1969 for Watson Van Benthuysen II, an officer in the Confederate Army and relative of Jefferson Davis. During the period of 1831 until the end of WWII, the Elms mansion served as a German Consulate. The house is now used as a special events and weddings venue.

William's Research Center 410 Chartres Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1915. The Beaux Arts style Williams Research Center was originally built as a police station and municipal courthouse. Since 1996, after an extensive renovation, the center now belongs to The Historic New Orleans Collection. THNOC is a museum, research center, and publisher dedicated to studying and preserving the history and culture of New Orleans and its surround areas.

William's Research Center

410 Chartres Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1915.

The Beaux Arts style Williams Research Center was originally built as a police station and municipal courthouse. Since 1996, after an extensive renovation, the center now belongs to The Historic New Orleans Collection.

THNOC is a museum, research center, and publisher dedicated to studying and preserving the history and culture of New Orleans and its surround areas.

521-523 S. Rendon Street 521-523 S. Rendon Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.  Built c. 1917.

521-523 S. Rendon Street

521-523 S. Rendon Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. 

Built c. 1917.

Preservation Hall 726 St. Peters Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1750.   The building that houses Preservation Hall was built in 1750 as a private residence, and it has since served as a tavern, inn, photo studio, and art gallery. Preservation Hall was founded in 1961 out of frustration after the building owner, Larry Borenstein, had to tend his shop rather than go and hear live music. Borenstein organized a pass-the-hat session for local musicians, leading to Preservation Hall becoming the cornerstone of New Orleans music and culture that it is today. Preservation Hall. 726 St. Peters Street. New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1750. 

Preservation Hall

726 St. Peters Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1750.

 
The building that houses Preservation Hall was built in 1750 as a private residence, and it has since served as a tavern, inn, photo studio, and art gallery. Preservation Hall was founded in 1961 out of frustration after the building owner, Larry Borenstein, had to tend his shop rather than go and hear live music. Borenstein organized a pass-the-hat session for local musicians, leading to Preservation Hall becoming the cornerstone of New Orleans music and culture that it is today. Preservation Hall. 726 St. Peters Street. New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1750. 

Repurposed Esso Gas Station 2480 Burgundy Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Repurposed Esso Gas Station

2480 Burgundy Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

NOLA Bark Market/ Wiltz Gymnasium 3041 North Rampart Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1916. This building was built by the New Orleans School Board in 1916 and now houses the NOLA Bark Market and Dog Park/ New Orleans Art Supply shops. The former boys club and gymnasium had been vacant since an auction in 2010 and the new shops within were chosen from input by neighborhood residents. 

NOLA Bark Market/ Wiltz Gymnasium

3041 North Rampart Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1916.

This building was built by the New Orleans School Board in 1916 and now houses the NOLA Bark Market and Dog Park/ New Orleans Art Supply shops. The former boys club and gymnasium had been vacant since an auction in 2010 and the new shops within were chosen from input by neighborhood residents. 

Manchu Food Store 1413 N. Claiborne Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. Many claim that this small spot off of I-10 has the best fried chicken wings in town (and at the best price.) Locals order their chicken topped with crack seasoning and a side of french fries or fried rice from behind bulletproof glass. The restaurant doubles as a grocery and convenience store.

Manchu Food Store

1413 N. Claiborne Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Many claim that this small spot off of I-10 has the best fried chicken wings in town (and at the best price.) Locals order their chicken topped with crack seasoning and a side of french fries or fried rice from behind bulletproof glass. The restaurant doubles as a grocery and convenience store.

Musee Conti Wax Museum 917 Conti Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1890. The Musee Conti Wax Museum is an institution in New Orleans' French Quarter. Featuring over 144 life-sized wax figures, the museum showcases everything from the history of New Orleans to (a 1970's addition) a spooky dungeon with Dracula and The Creature from the Black Lagoon. The museum opened in 1964 and is closing for good on January 31st, 2016. The building has been purchased and will be turned into luxury condominium units.

Musee Conti Wax Museum

917 Conti Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1890.

The Musee Conti Wax Museum is an institution in New Orleans' French Quarter. Featuring over 144 life-sized wax figures, the museum showcases everything from the history of New Orleans to (a 1970's addition) a spooky dungeon with Dracula and The Creature from the Black Lagoon. The museum opened in 1964 and is closing for good on January 31st, 2016. The building has been purchased and will be turned into luxury condominium units.

Snake & Jake's Christmas Club Lounge 7612 Oak Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built c. 1950. Snake & Jake's is consistently ranked as one of the top dive bars in the world.  Their signature drink, the Possum Drop, is named after an event in which a possum fell through the ceiling onto a customer's head. No one who frequents Snake’s is every surprised to learn about that.

Snake & Jake's Christmas Club Lounge

7612 Oak Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built c. 1950.

Snake & Jake's is consistently ranked as one of the top dive bars in the world. 

Their signature drink, the Possum Drop, is named after an event in which a possum fell through the ceiling onto a customer's head. No one who frequents Snake’s is every surprised to learn about that.

St. John the Baptist 1139 Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1972. St. John the Baptist church was built for Dominican Nuns along with a school of the same name. The school was built as an academy for girls, later accepting younger boys. It was open for almost one hundred years until it was demolished to make room for the Pontchartrain Expressway. Luckily, the church remained and still stands as a landmark on the side of the highway.

St. John the Baptist

1139 Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1972.

St. John the Baptist church was built for Dominican Nuns along with a school of the same name. The school was built as an academy for girls, later accepting younger boys. It was open for almost one hundred years until it was demolished to make room for the Pontchartrain Expressway.

Luckily, the church remained and still stands as a landmark on the side of the highway.

Dixie Brewery 2401 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1907. Dixie Brewery was founded in 1907 by Valentine Merz. After filing for bankruptcy in 1989, the brewery reemerged in 1992 with a new line of beers.  The building was severely damaged in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina and beer production was contracted out to other breweries. The majority of the building no longer stands. 

Dixie Brewery

2401 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1907.

Dixie Brewery was founded in 1907 by Valentine Merz. After filing for bankruptcy in 1989, the brewery reemerged in 1992 with a new line of beers.  The building was severely damaged in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina and beer production was contracted out to other breweries.

The majority of the building no longer stands. 

St. John's Cathedral 914 St. John Street, Lafayette, Louisiana. Opened in 1916.  This Roman Catholic Cathedral, originally called l'Église St-Jean du Vermilion was founded in 1821, making it the first church in Lafayette Parish.  The church, which was finished in 1916, now includes a museum with memorabilia of the parish and Cathedral. 

St. John's Cathedral

914 St. John Street, Lafayette, Louisiana.

Opened in 1916. 

This Roman Catholic Cathedral, originally called l'Église St-Jean du Vermilion was founded in 1821, making it the first church in Lafayette Parish. 

The church, which was finished in 1916, now includes a museum with memorabilia of the parish and Cathedral. 

Pêche Seafood Grill 800 Magazine Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. This building, believed to be built at its core in 1840 with the facade and corner office added in 1884, was originally used for carriage rentals and embalming bodies -- most notably the body of Jefferson Davis. F. Johnson & Son, Limited owned the building until 1940 when American Coffee Co. built and refitted the building to their purposes. After 2010, the building was repurchased into nine residential spaces as well as the Pêche Seafood Grill restaurant. 

Pêche Seafood Grill

800 Magazine Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

This building, believed to be built at its core in 1840 with the facade and corner office added in 1884, was originally used for carriage rentals and embalming bodies -- most notably the body of Jefferson Davis. F. Johnson & Son, Limited owned the building until 1940 when American Coffee Co. built and refitted the building to their purposes. After 2010, the building was repurchased into nine residential spaces as well as the Pêche Seafood Grill restaurant. 

Creole Cottage Common in New Orleans, Louisiana.  The Creole Cottage is the earliest style of local housing within the city of New Orleans, built from 1790 to 1950. These houses were constructed to best suit the hot and humid climate. This style is influenced heavily by both French and Spanish methods of construction. This type of house is typically a symmetrical one-story tall with a steeply pitched roof that serves to keep rain away from the front windows and doors.

Creole Cottage

Common in New Orleans, Louisiana. 

The Creole Cottage is the earliest style of local housing within the city of New Orleans, built from 1790 to 1950. These houses were constructed to best suit the hot and humid climate.

This style is influenced heavily by both French and Spanish methods of construction. This type of house is typically a symmetrical one-story tall with a steeply pitched roof that serves to keep rain away from the front
windows and doors.

The National WWII Museum, Freedom Pavilion: The Boeing Center 945 Magazine Street. New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 2013. The National WWII Museum began as "The National D-Day Museum" in June of 2000, and has since expanded its plans to include six buildings over three square blocks.  New Orleans may seem like a odd host to this national museum, but the city was instrumental in the design, building and testing of the famous Higgins Boats that were so vital to the success of D-Day among many other contributions. 

The National WWII Museum, Freedom Pavilion: The Boeing Center

945 Magazine Street. New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 2013.

The National WWII Museum began as "The National D-Day Museum" in June of 2000, and has since expanded its plans to include six buildings over three square blocks. 

New Orleans may seem like a odd host to this national museum, but the city was instrumental in the design, building and testing of the famous Higgins Boats that were so vital to the success of D-Day among many other contributions. 

Engine 24 Firehouse 2711 Dauphine Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built c. 1900. Currently being used  as a short-term vacation rental. (Don't worry! It is licensed.) The original Firehouse that remains in the back was built as stables for the horse-drawn fire engines. It was rebuilt in 2004. The main structure (pictured) was built approximately 50 or 60 years after that with decorative brick patterns in a Victorian style.

Engine 24 Firehouse

2711 Dauphine Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built c. 1900.

Currently being used  as a short-term vacation rental. (Don't worry! It is licensed.) The original Firehouse that remains in the back was built as stables for the horse-drawn fire engines. It was rebuilt in 2004. The main structure (pictured) was built approximately 50 or 60 years after that with decorative brick patterns in a Victorian style.

Rally's 2371 St. Claude Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. This classic drive-in style restaurant features the best french fries to eat while drunk. They are also 80% more likely to have their soft serve machine running than the neighboring McDonald's. #aprilfools2017

Rally's

2371 St. Claude Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

This classic drive-in style restaurant features the best french fries to eat while drunk. They are also 80% more likely to have their soft serve machine running than the neighboring McDonald's. #aprilfools2017

Double Shotgun, Arts & Crafts Style Common in New Orleans, Louisiana. The Arts & Crafts style had it's heyday in New Orleans from the early 1900's through the 1940's. This style mixes unadorned structural elements such as exposed rafter tails, boards, and beams mixed with decorative elements such as deep overhangs and fascia boards and natural materials such as wood siding or concrete blocks.

Double Shotgun, Arts & Crafts Style

Common in New Orleans, Louisiana.

The Arts & Crafts style had it's heyday in New Orleans from the early 1900's through the 1940's.

This style mixes unadorned structural elements such as exposed rafter tails, boards, and beams mixed with decorative elements such as deep overhangs and fascia boards and natural materials such as wood siding or concrete blocks.

Double Shotgun Style House Common in New Orleans, Louisiana.  In the Southern United States, shotgun houses were the most popular style of residences after the Civil War through the 1920's, but there is evidence of them existing in New Orleans since the 1810's.  The style got its name from the idea that one could shoot a shotgun from the front door of the house, and it would fly cleanly out the back door without hitting a thing.

Double Shotgun Style House

Common in New Orleans, Louisiana. 

In the Southern United States, shotgun houses were the most popular style of residences after the Civil War through the 1920's, but there is evidence of them existing in New Orleans since the 1810's. 

The style got its name from the idea that one could shoot a shotgun from the front door of the house, and it would fly cleanly out the back door without hitting a thing.

Charity Hospital 1532 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built 1939 (6th Charity Hospital.) Unused since 2005. Charity Hospital was founded in 1736, making it the second oldest continually operated public hospital in the United States until it was closed after Hurricane Katrina in 2005.  This building is the sixth iteration of Charity Hospital and is on The National Trust for Historic Preservation’s list of America's Most Endangered Places.

Charity Hospital

1532 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built 1939 (6th Charity Hospital.)

Unused since 2005.

Charity Hospital was founded in 1736, making it the second oldest continually operated public hospital in the United States until it was closed after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. 

This building is the sixth iteration of Charity Hospital and is on The National Trust for Historic Preservation’s list of America's Most Endangered Places.

Valence Street Baptist Church 4636 Magazine Street. New Orleans, Louisiana.

Valence Street Baptist Church

4636 Magazine Street. New Orleans, Louisiana.

Borden's Ice Cream 1103 Jefferson Street, Lafayette, Louisiana. Built in 1940. This Borden's Ice Cream shop was started in 1940 by Flora Levy in a building that had been in her family for years. It is now the last retail ice cream shop location for Borden's open in the United States. 

Borden's Ice Cream

1103 Jefferson Street, Lafayette, Louisiana.

Built in 1940.

This Borden's Ice Cream shop was started in 1940 by Flora Levy in a building that had been in her family for years. It is now the last retail ice cream shop location for Borden's open in the United States. 

Creole Townhouse Common in New Orleans, Louisiana.  Built from the late 1780’s to the mid 1800’s, the Creole Townhouse is most often found within the French Quarter of New Orleans and its closely surrounding neighborhoods. This style of house is typically a narrow two to four story building with ornate cast-iron balconies and a carriageway replaces the usual entrance.

Creole Townhouse

Common in New Orleans, Louisiana. 

Built from the late 1780’s to the mid 1800’s, the Creole Townhouse is most often found within the French Quarter of New Orleans and its closely surrounding neighborhoods.

This style of house is typically a narrow two to four story building with ornate cast-iron balconies and a carriageway replaces the usual entrance.

Italianate Shotgun Style House Common in New Orleans, Louisiana. In the 19th century the architectural styles and motifs of the Italian Renaissance were commonly pulled from creating the Italianate style. The most popular element of this style, the ornate brackets on the tops of shotgun, as well as many other types, of houses are seen all over New Orleans. Molded or carved quoins (small raised blocks on the corners,) hipped roofs, symmetrical facades, and arched window and hood moldings are other common characteristics of this style.

Italianate Shotgun Style House

Common in New Orleans, Louisiana.

In the 19th century the architectural styles and motifs of the Italian Renaissance were commonly pulled from creating the Italianate style.

The most popular element of this style, the ornate brackets on the tops of shotgun, as well as many other types,
of houses are seen all over New Orleans. Molded or carved quoins (small raised blocks on the corners,) hipped roofs, symmetrical facades, and arched window and hood moldings are other common characteristics of this style.

Maple Street Book  Shop 7529 Maple Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. The Maple Street Book Shop was founded in 1964 by Mary Kellogg Faust and Rhoda Kellogg Norman. Since its founding, the shop has been listed many times as one of the best independent book stores in America. After fifty years of “fighting the stupids,” Maple Street Book shop shut its doors for good in September of 2017.

Maple Street Book  Shop

7529 Maple Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

The Maple Street Book Shop was founded in 1964 by Mary Kellogg Faust and Rhoda Kellogg Norman.

Since its founding, the shop has been listed many times as one of the best independent book stores in America.

After fifty years of “fighting the stupids,” Maple Street Book shop shut its doors for good in September of 2017.

The Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery 535 Tchoupitoulas Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1854. This bustling hotel & chandlery (general store) was originally built in 1854 as a warehouse for the Port of New Orleans. During the many years that it has stood, 77 Tchoupitoulas Street (the original address before New Orleans standardized street numbers) has served as a coffee warehouse, and a chandlery owned by E.J. Hart & Company that sold a wide range of goods for sailing ships.  The hotel, owned by Provenance Hotels, aims to stay true to its history by selling goods by local makers as well as showcasing the artwork of NOCCA (New Orleans Center for Creative Arts) students. 

The Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery

535 Tchoupitoulas Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1854.

This bustling hotel & chandlery (general store) was originally built in 1854 as a warehouse for the Port of New Orleans. During the many years that it has stood, 77 Tchoupitoulas Street (the original address before New Orleans standardized street numbers) has served as a coffee warehouse, and a chandlery owned by E.J. Hart & Company that sold a wide range of goods for sailing ships. 

The hotel, owned by Provenance Hotels, aims to stay true to its history by selling goods by local makers as well as showcasing the artwork of NOCCA (New Orleans Center for Creative Arts) students. 

Blue Shotgun 8723 Oak Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Blue Shotgun

8723 Oak Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Greenville Hall of Loyola University 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1882. Greenville Hall of Loyola University, New Orleans is an Italianate double gallery structure. It was originally built in 1882 for the Dominican nuns of St. Mary’s Dominican College (open from 1920 to 1984.)  It was listed on the Louisiana Landmarks Society's 9 Most Endangered List in 2014 and is rumored to be haunted.

Greenville Hall of Loyola University

7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1882.

Greenville Hall of Loyola University, New Orleans is an Italianate double gallery structure. It was originally built in 1882 for the Dominican nuns of St. Mary’s Dominican College (open from 1920 to 1984.) 

It was listed on the Louisiana Landmarks Society's 9 Most Endangered List in 2014 and is rumored to be haunted.

The Brown-Villere Mansion 4717 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built from 1901-1904.  It was originally built by the “Cotton King,” W.P. Brown — also the founder of what was to become Hibernia Bank. The house was built upon the promise to his new bride that they would live in the most palatial home New Orleans had ever seen.  This Romanesque Revival mansion on St. Charles Avenue contains about 22,000 square feet on four floors.

The Brown-Villere Mansion

4717 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built from 1901-1904. 

It was originally built by the “Cotton King,” W.P. Brown — also the founder of what was to become Hibernia Bank. The house was built upon the promise to his new bride that they would live in the most palatial home New Orleans had ever seen. 

This Romanesque Revival mansion on St. Charles Avenue contains about 22,000 square feet on four floors.

Painted Lady's Inn 929 Marigny Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. The painted Lady's Inn in a prime example of the Queen Anne/ Eastlake style home.  The late 1870’s through the early 20th century were marked with the Queen Anne and Eastlake becoming the hip style of architecture in New Orleans as well as the rest of the United States. This highly embellished style includes elements such as wrap-around porches, patterned shingles, decorative attic vents, bay windows, patterned wooden trim, and turned posts and rails.

Painted Lady's Inn

929 Marigny Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

The painted Lady's Inn in a prime example of the Queen Anne/ Eastlake style home.  The late 1870’s through the early 20th century were marked with the Queen Anne and Eastlake becoming the hip style of architecture in New Orleans as well as the rest of the United States.

This highly embellished style includes elements such as wrap-around porches, patterned shingles, decorative attic vents, bay windows, patterned wooden trim, and turned posts and rails.

6026 St. Charles Avenue 6026 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built c. 1880.

6026 St. Charles Avenue

6026 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built c. 1880.

Creole Creamery 4924 Prytania Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.  Creole Creamery opened in 2004 in a historic McKenzie’s Bakery building, as seen on the sign that remains on the facade. The 1950’s style ice cream parlor serves cups, cones, sundaes, and flavors from Creole Cream Cheese to Lavender Honey.  McKenzie’s Bakery began in 1924 in this storefront, a building that has previously been a bakery as well. The chain expanded to 49 locations in its heyday, but decayed into the 5 currently remaining locations. 

Creole Creamery

4924 Prytania Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. 

Creole Creamery opened in 2004 in a historic McKenzie’s Bakery building, as seen on the sign that remains on the facade. The 1950’s style ice cream parlor serves cups, cones, sundaes, and flavors from Creole Cream Cheese to Lavender Honey. 

McKenzie’s Bakery began in 1924 in this storefront, a building that has previously been a bakery as well. The chain expanded to 49 locations in its heyday, but decayed into the 5 currently remaining locations. 

422 Canal Street 422 Canal Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in the 1860’s. The buildings at 422 Canal Street are some of the few pieces remaining of the once-thriving commercial district on lower Canal Street. The buildings became endangered of being demolished to make room for a 21-story hotel, but local preservationists fought to keep them intact, leading to a City Council decision that "any new development must preserve these historic buildings and appropriately respect them in scale and relationship."

422 Canal Street

422 Canal Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in the 1860’s.

The buildings at 422 Canal Street are some of the few pieces remaining of the once-thriving commercial district on lower Canal Street. The buildings became endangered of being demolished to make room for a 21-story hotel, but local preservationists fought to keep them intact, leading to a City Council decision that "any new development must preserve these historic buildings and appropriately respect them in scale and relationship."

Montgomery-Hero House 1213 Third Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1868.

Montgomery-Hero House

1213 Third Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1868.

Doullut Steamboat House 503 Egania Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1905. The twin Doullut Steamboat Houses stand in the Holy Cross neighborhood of New Orleans. The first was built by Paul Doullut, a steamboat captain, for himself and his wife, and the second was built in 1913 for his son, Paul Jr. As flooding is a concern in the neighborhood where these are built,  the entire ground floor is coated on the inside and out with ceramic tile that can easily be cleaned after a disaster. 

Doullut Steamboat House

503 Egania Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1905.

The twin Doullut Steamboat Houses stand in the Holy Cross neighborhood of New Orleans. The first was built by Paul Doullut, a steamboat captain, for himself and his wife, and the second was built in 1913 for his son, Paul Jr.

As flooding is a concern in the neighborhood where these are built,  the entire ground floor is coated on the inside and out with ceramic tile that can easily be cleaned after a disaster. 

The Bulldog, Uptown 3236 Magazine Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Known for having one of the most beautiful patios on Magazine Street, The Bulldog serves the denizens of New Orleans a nearly unmatched selection of bottled and tap beers.

The Bulldog, Uptown

3236 Magazine Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Known for having one of the most beautiful patios on Magazine Street, The Bulldog serves the denizens of New Orleans a nearly unmatched selection of bottled and tap beers.

Raised House Common in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Raised House

Common in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Pal's Lounge 949 North Rendon Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Pal's Lounge was established in 2002, and has served since as staple neighborhood bar in the Mid-City area. The building has been a bar under different names since sometime in the 1920's.

Pal's Lounge

949 North Rendon Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Pal's Lounge was established in 2002, and has served since as staple neighborhood bar in the Mid-City area. The building has been a bar under different names since sometime in the 1920's.

Algiers Courthouse 225 Morgan Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1896.  The Algiers Courthouse was constructed in 1896 as a replacement to the Duverje Plantation home, the former main government building in Algiers since 1866. This building is said to be the third-oldest continually operating courthouse in the State of Louisiana.  The historic building was renovated from 1979 - 1984, and still serves as a spot for marriage licenses, traffic tickets, voter registration, and more. 

Algiers Courthouse

225 Morgan Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1896. 

The Algiers Courthouse was constructed in 1896 as a replacement to the Duverje Plantation home, the former main government building in Algiers since 1866. This building is said to be the third-oldest continually operating courthouse in the State of Louisiana. 

The historic building was renovated from 1979 - 1984, and still serves as a spot for marriage licenses, traffic tickets, voter registration, and more. 

Warehouse District Firehouse 1043 Magazine Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built c. 1880.

Warehouse District Firehouse

1043 Magazine Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built c. 1880.

Dryades Street Branch Library 1924 Philip Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Built in 1915. First library that was opened for people of color in New Orleans, now owned by The Dryades Street YMCA. 

Dryades Street Branch Library

1924 Philip Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Built in 1915.

First library that was opened for people of color in New Orleans, now owned by The Dryades Street YMCA. 

Charles E. Gayarre Elementary School/ Oretha Castle Haley Elementary 2515 N Robertson Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.  Built c. 1920 The Charles E. Gayarre Elementary School, later renamed Oretha Castle Haley Elementary, was built by New Orleans civic architect E.A. Christy around 1920. Named for a well-known Louisiana historian, this building now faces a demolition proposal by the current owners to make room for a strip mall. If you are concerned with this potential loss, your help is needed! This matter is scheduled to be heard by the city council on December 1st -- please attend and speak out. You can view more information about this proposal and the building's historical significance at bit.ly/RochDemo. Please write/ call/ email your city council members and tell them how you feel. You can also contact the PRC's advocacy department at eholmes@prcno.org for more information about how to help. 

Charles E. Gayarre Elementary School/ Oretha Castle Haley Elementary

2515 N Robertson Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. 

Built c. 1920

The Charles E. Gayarre Elementary School, later renamed Oretha Castle Haley Elementary, was built by New Orleans civic architect E.A. Christy around 1920. Named for a well-known Louisiana historian, this building now faces a demolition proposal by the current owners to make room for a strip mall.

If you are concerned with this potential loss, your help is needed! This matter is scheduled to be heard by the city council on December 1st -- please attend and speak out. You can view more information about this proposal and the building's historical significance at bit.ly/RochDemo. Please write/ call/ email your city council members and tell them how you feel. You can also contact the PRC's advocacy department at eholmes@prcno.org for more information about how to help. 

Golding Hall, Ogden Museum of Southern Art 925 Camp Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Opened in 2003.   The Ogden Museum of Southern Art comprises multiple varied buildings. From Goldring Hall (pictured), a modernist masterpiece of glass and stone to The Patrick F. Taylor Library a historic structure built in 1889 by renowned architect Henry Hobson Richardson to the under constructionClementine Hunter Wing.  With over 4,000 works, this museum houses the largest and most comprehensive collection of Southern art in the world, and is well known for its collection of outsider and folk art.

Golding Hall, Ogden Museum of Southern Art

925 Camp Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Opened in 2003.

 

The Ogden Museum of Southern Art comprises multiple varied buildings. From Goldring Hall (pictured), a modernist masterpiece of glass and stone to The Patrick F. Taylor Library a historic structure built in 1889 by renowned architect Henry Hobson Richardson to the under constructionClementine Hunter Wing. 

With over 4,000 works, this museum houses the largest and most comprehensive collection of Southern art in the world,
and is well known for its collection of outsider and folk art.